Along with the excitement and nervousness that accompanies traveling abroad, there is often additional stress when it comes to deciding what to pack. If you are like the average packer you probably overpack and try to bring everything in your closet (including all seven pairs of shoes)! Don’t despair, check out our packing tips and tricks below!
- PACK LIGHT - The first thing to remember while packing for your travel course is to pack light. During your trip you may be moving places often, and remember you will only be gone a week or two. Pack clothes that are comfortable, dark and can easily be layered or reworn in order to reduce your amount of clothes.
- KNOW YOUR LOCATION - Whether you are traveling to Belize or the United Kingdom, it is vital to know the climate you are packing for and what activities you will be doing throughout your trip. Some trips may include business meetings, field work, or going to the beach. Knowing your location can help you pack the correct clothing and avoid overpacking!
- BE A MINIMALIST - Not overpacking can be stressful, but it is important to remember you will only be gone a few days. Limit yourself to 1-2 pairs of shoes (remember to bring something comfortable and versatile). Try to also limit yourself to 2 pairs of jeans and one jacket in order to save space. Ditch the extras like straighteners and excessive makeup (especially since most hair appliances won’t work abroad), a few items will go a long way.
- SAVE SPACE - When packing roll clothing and use packing cubes. These little tricks will help you stay organized and have extra room so you can bring back any souvenirs you find!
- BRING A CARRY-ON - Bringing a backpack or small bag can be a lifesaver when trying to carry your things during your trip. On the way to your destination this bag will be with you on the airplane so make sure to pack an extra set of clothes, your phone charger, snacks, reusable water bottle, and something to keep you entertained like a book or game. Make sure you also pack in your carry on your passport, converter, money, and any prescriptions you take!
Follow these five tips and you will be ready to pack like a pro for your upcoming travel course. For more info on packing, check out this video by Student Travel Consultants, Megan and Dori!