How do I get a passport?

All US citizens must have a passport to travel internationally.  The US Department of State is the US government agency that issues passports for US citizens. Visit and follow the instructions to apply for your passport book (not card).

Processing times vary but are usually around 4 – 6 weeks. You will need to prove your US citizenship, submit an application, prove your identity with a government-issued ID and pay a fee for your passport. Your passport will be valid for 10 years.

ISU students traveling on University programs may have their passport photo taken in the Study Abroad Center (6563 Memorial Union) from 1:00 - 4:00 p.m. each weekday.  The cost is $15 charged to your U-bill.

If you are a student in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences, have applied for a study abroad program and are getting a passport for the first time, you are eligible for a scholarship that will reimburse you for the cost of your passport. Bring your new passport to 0018 Curtiss to claim your scholarship.

Step-By-Step Guide to Obtaining a Passport and Passport Reimbursement (CALS students only)