Program Director Handbook

Guidelines for Managing Travel Course Finances
CALS Study Abroad

Who's Who in Global Programs

Staff contact information and primary responsibilities within Global Programs

Vendor Pre-Payments

Processing advance group expenses using p-cards, event cards, ISU checks, wire transfers, and professional services agreements

Taking a Family Member?

ISU policies regarding spouses and dependents accompanying faculty on study abroad programs.  Includes the Spouse, Domestic Partner and/or Child Companion Agreement and Liability Release.


What happens before you leave?

  • Advance Registration (ISU Travel Website)
  • AlertTraveler
  • Chubb International Health & Safety Insurance
  • Spend Authorization (formerly travel authorizations)
  • Cash Advance (formerly travel advance)
  • Event Cards
  • Global Cell Phones
  • Trip Lingo

Keep Your Trip Expenses Organized

Tools for keeping your travel course expenses organized

  • Expenditure Log
  • Weekly Expense Envelopes
  • Expense Journal with Receipts

Allowable Expenses/Receipts

When are receipts required?  Includes templates for Generic Receipt and Group Meal Allotment Receipt


Information on getting your travel reimbursement processed efficiently
Program Final Report


Tips for making your travel course and reimbursement go smoothly
Top Auditing Errors

Forms Library

Cash Advance Authorization Form
Certificate of Missing Receipt
Create Expense Report (formerly Travel Reimbursement) and/or Verify T&H Card Transaction (Workday Job Aid)
Create Spend Authorization (formerly Travel Authorization) or Cash Advance (Workday Job Aid)
Event Card Request/Cardholder Agreement (Event Card Request/Cardholder Agreement.docx)
Generic Receipt Form (Generic Receipt Form.doc)
Group Meal Allotment Receipt (Group Meal Allotment Receipt.docx)
Program Final Report
Sample Expenditure Log (Expenditure Log.doc)
Sample Expense Journal with Receipts (Sample Expense Journal with Receipts.docx)
Sample Expense Summary (Sample Expense Summary.xlsx)
Spouse, Domestic Partner and/or Child Companion Agreement and Liability Release

Program Director Training (pdf with live links)