This spring break service learning program to Uganda will offer students the opportunity to become familiar with the ISU programs and enable students to directly contribute to improving the quality of life of the people of Kamuli, particularly women and children. Students will spend several days working at primary schools and with local communities in the Kamuli District on agroforestry - establishing woodlots, creating school gardens, working with mothers and children on nutrition and health at Nutrition Education Centers, with livestock farmers on feeding and housing, and with post-harvest handling programs on food preservation and storage at schools.
Preference will be given to undergraduate students in CALS in NREM & HORT.
Must be able to walk continuously for 3 miles on un-even terrain.
Must be willing and able to live in basic conditions with minimal modern conveniences and no internet access.
Must be in good academic standing.
3 credits for NREM 496 (Spring 2020)
~$3,496.00 (includes airfare, lodging, in-country transportation, in-country support and supplies, entrance fees, most meals, CISI health and emergency insurance) Will be charged directly to U-bill
Out of Pocket Costs
$100 Ugandan visa upon arrive at airport in Entebbe
$150 Incidentals (snacks, souvenirs, few meals)
$800 vaccines and preventative medicines
*If you are a first time traveler in CALS and need a passport, click here to find out how you can get the cost of your passport reimbursed
There are scholarships available to apply for through the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (0018 Curtiss Hall, scholarship application due November 1, 2019. Application details are served to CALS students in the learning content section of the program application.
Tentative Travel Itinerary
- Thursday, March 12: Depart US, Des Moines airport
- Friday, March 13: Arrive Uganda, spend night at Capitol Palace in Kampala
- Saturday, March 14: Lake Mbura National Park
- Sunday, March 15: Lake Mbura National Park
- Monday, March 16: Depart Lake Mbura National Park, spend night in Kampala at Capitol Palace
- Tuesday, March 17: Arrive in Kamuli District, stay at ISU CSRL facility, introduction to ISU-UP staff and Kamuli area
- Wednesday, March 18: Kamuli District, stay at ISU CSRL facility, work at school to build tree nursery
- Thursday, March 19 Kamuli District, stay at ISU CSRL facility, work at school to build tree nursery
- Friday, March 20: Kamuli District, stay at ISU CSRL facility, work with local farmers and livestock
- Saturday, March 21: Kamuli District, stay at ISU CSRL facility, work at Nutrition Education Center
- Sunday, March 22: Depart Kamuli District, Stop in Jinja on way to airport to visit the source of the Nile, shop and site-see, Depart Uganda
- Monday, March 23: Arrive back in US, Des Moines airport